Southern 154 - 1890 Schenectady Locomotive Works
Locomotive #154 is a 2-8-0 "Consolidation" type steam locomotive that was built in 1890 by the Schenectady Locomotive Works in Schenectady, New York. Schenectady built steam railroad locomotives from the mid 19th century through its merger into the American Locomotive Company (commonly known as ALCO) in 1901-1902. This locomotive is one of only ten preserved Schenectady built locomotives that are still in existence today.
The locomotive was delivered in 1890 to the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia (ETV&G) as locomotive #466 (builder's #3114). In 1894 the ETV&G and the Richmond and Danville Railroad merged to form the Southern Railway. After the merger the locomotive became Southern Railway #154 and served in the East Tennessee area until it was given to the City of Knoxville to be put on display in August 1953. In the last few years of its active career for the Southern Railway the locomotive was leased to the Smoky Mountain Railroad between Knoxville and Sevierville, TN.
Since 1953 the locomotive has been on public display at Chilhowee Park in Knoxville. In 1989 the locomotive was given to the Old Smoky Railway Museum which donated the locomotive to the Gulf and Ohio Railways in August 2008. The City of Knoxville and the Old Smoky Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society cared for and maintained the locomotive while on static display which kept it in a condition that makes this restoration possible. At the completion of the restoration #154 will become the oldest operating Southern Railway steam locomotive and also the oldest operating locomotive built by the Schenectady Locomotive Works.
Any additional historical information is welcome and would be greatly appreciated. We are also in search of additional historical photos of #154. If you would like to submit additional historical information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A collection of restoration photos by Bren Norvell, Chris Starnes, and Doc Claussen.